Sunday 4 November 2012

Interview with Gary Lamont - The Sun

[Source]

I'll star in River City gay wedding ... but I'm not ready to marry my boyfriend

Telly hunk ... Gary Lamont
BBC
By MARC DEANIE Published: 04th November 2012

RIVER City star Gary Lamont says the Shieldinch soap is blazing a trail for gay marriage — as his character gets set to tie the knot.

The controversial issue continues to dominate the corridors of power in Westminster and Holyrood as Montego Street crimper Robbie and his policeman fiance Will walk down the aisle in Tuesday night's episode.

Gay actor Gary ? who opened his heart to The Scottish Sun about his sexuality earlier this year ? says the plot is a major coup for the BBC Scotland show.

He said: "I do think we need to move with the times, we have to, whether everyone agrees with it or not.

"Times have changed. When you hear these awful religious things, I do think they sound like fossils but that's just my opinion on it. Each to their own.

"In an ideal world there should be no hurdles like this for people. Your outlook changes the older you get, I suppose.

"These things never used to bother me. I used to think it was fine as long as I was happy with what I've got.

"The older you get the more disgruntled with the world you get and the way things are.

"But it is my opinion and I'm not going to force it on anybody. If they can't accept it, I feel sorry for them." But Gary insists he doesn't want to be a spokesman for legalising gay marriage.

He added: "It's a tricky one for me because essentially I'm a public figure now and have been for a few years but it's just my job.

"I don't want to take a flag up and declare that everything I say is right.

"I'm just one person with an opinion. I have to be a role model though but I'm not really comfortable with being a voice.

"It's a scary aspect of the job because some people might take what I say as gospel and that's never a good thing!"

Man and strife ... Gary's character Robbie marries violent DC Cooper
BBC
In June, Gary spoke to us about coming out to his family and friends in his late teens, admitting it was a difficult experience.

His revelation came at the start of Robbie and Will's domestic abuse storyline.

The TV star, who grew up in Glasgow's tough Castlemilk district, had been used to speculation about his sexuality because Shieldinch fans regularly grilled him about it.

Gary's been in a relationship with his partner for over a year and says they have "no plans to marry in the immediate future".

But he reckons his own personal situation gives the storyline authenticity.

Gary said: "For us it's brilliant that we get to tackle something like this.

"As a gay man, I get an input into this.

"I know how to pitch things and I'll say if I don't think something's right or if it's too flowery.

"It's protected from stereotypes by that.

"I'm very protective of it and there's a responsibility there to make the subject matter truthful." Robbie and Will's civil ceremony is set to air on Tuesday night's episode of River City.

Gary's co-star Scott Ryan Vickers, who plays DC Will Cooper, revealed he's become the go-to actor for playing gay characters ? despite being straight in real life.

Scott, 35, said: "I'm straight but I've played a gay character in Channel 4's Sirens and I've played another gay character before that, so for some reason it seems I'm the go-to guy for gay characters on the acting scene.

"To be honest, it's not too different acting out a gay scene than it would be with a female actress. Because it's before the watershed, we don't kiss or do anything intimate so it's not a massive difference.

"If you like the person who you're playing the scene with, it makes it that bit easier.

"Gary and I are great friends on set, so there is chemistry there already and that makes my job a lot easier.

"But at the end of the day it's the same as acting with an actress.

"It's not real either way so it really doesn't cross my mind."

Best pals ... Gary and Pamela
BBC
Scott's character arrived in Shieldinch just over six months ago and already he's tackled a huge storyline involving domestic abuse. And now he's set to make River City history by being one of the first gay characters to get married.

Scott added: "It's great. I'm absolutely loving it.

"As an actor you want the big story lines so I couldn't be more lucky.

"I've been playing Will for over six months, so it's been a bit of a whirlwind with the domestic violence and now this.

"But I absolutely agree with civil partnerships, otherwise I can imagine it would be quite a difficult character to play.

"It's important in the 21st century that we get that message across that it's more than normal to be gay.

"We definitely need to move on from the taboo." And despite being a newbie on Montego Street, Manchester-born Scott sees himself staying in Glasgow long-term.

Scott said: "It looks like Will is really getting involved and I'm very happy to stay. I'll be here for a while, if not for a long period of time.

"Without giving too much away, Will still has some demons to face as far as the violence goes.

"We definitely haven't seen the last of that story line.

"Not just that but I've really settled into Glasgow now. We film in three month blocks, and after the first block I went down south for a break, but when I came back I really felt like I was welcomed back. I was getting messages from people on Twitter saying how much they liked the character and really lovely things so I'd be happy to stay on for as long as they'll have me."

Meanwhile, Gary has told how his latest dramatic storyline brings an end to an incredible year.

He has already had to say goodbye to co-star and real-life best pal Pamela Byrne.

The pair are so close that Gary even gave her away at her plush New York wedding. Now that Pamela has quit the show, Gary admits that the gay marriage storyline focused his thoughts.

He added: "It too real and horrible to not get right.

"If someone's out there in a similar situation, you want it to strike a chord for them. It's a very current subject.

"We, the cast, are just doing what we're given.

"We need to deal with current issues.

"To be at the forefront of TV drama you can't deal with dated issues. It's about staying relevant."


River City is on BBC1 Scotland at 8pm on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment